Become a Real Estate Salesperson
To become a licensed real estate salesperson in New York State, complete the 75-hour Salesperson’s Qualifying Course covering real estate law, regulations and procedures. The course is offered by local REALTOR® boards and is available online.
Once you’ve completed and passed the qualifying course, you are eligible to take the New York State salesperson’s licensing exam. Licensing is done through the NYS Department of State, Division of Licensing.
- Click here to create an account.
- Sign up on the site to take the salespersons licensing exam at a location near you.
- When you receive notice that you’ve passed, interview with companies in your area to find one that’s a good fit.
- Submit your application and $55 fee to the NYS Department of State.
- Be 18 years of age.
- Not be more than four months in arrears on child support payments.
- Provide information about the conviction for any crimes.
- Name a sponsoring broker on the application.
As of May 8, all examinations are canceled through May 15.
Here are some tips for getting started from our young professionals.
Click here to meet our young professionals and hear more advice.
Learn about NYSAR’s Member Perks.
Effective February 1, 2023, New York no longer has reciprocal agreements with other states.