Home Buyers’ Information
Whether you’re just starting out, building a family, or downsizing, finding the right home can make all the difference. It provides comfort, stability, and with the right choices, a great investment.
Right now is a great time to buy in New York State. In fact, mortgage rates remain near historic lows and there is a good selection of homes available in most price ranges.
REALTORS® have access to the most up-to-date property listing information – making them your best resources for finding the right home. They will help you determine what you can afford and assist you in navigating the purchase process.
Here are some resources to help you get started on your way to homeownership:
- Find a REALTOR® who is an expert in the area where you want to live.
- Use this list to determine what your costs might be on that dream home your REALTOR® helped you find.
- If you are not sure whether it’s best to rent or buy, this chart illustrates how homeownership may save you money over time compared to renting. The tax advantages of homeownership make a difference.
- Learn more about local affordable housing resources and the NYSAR Housing Opportunities Foundation grant program. The State of New York Mortgage Agency offers a variety of mortgage programs that may be right for you.
- Visit REALTOR.com to start your search or check out these local multiple listing services.
- Print out a handy checklist of things to check out while walking through an open house.
- Learn about recent changes to the state’s STAR Program including eligibility for the program, how to enroll, and where to contact the New York State Department of Tax and Finance.
- New to the area or the state? Learn more about where you want to live.
- Click here to find out more about home sales across New York State.